Monday, January 20, 2014

New Year, New Project, New Problems!

I finally managed to get my latest project, a '72 Cutlass, into the Amberlight. It took the threat of some serious rain storms for me to clear out some space for it, plus I didn't want the car sitting out for too long in the elements. Lord knows I have had my share of rusty cars and I didn't need to add any more to this one! Now that the car was safely tucked away in the garage I thought maybe I should come up with a good name for my new whip. I usually like to name my projects to give them some individuality for blogging purposes. My last '72 Cutlass was also yellow and I appropriately called it "Number 1". My brown '71 was "Number 2", so you can see the theme there... Usually a name will pop into my head as I am working on a project and this one did not disappoint me.

One of the first items I decided to tackle, besides putting on some new front tires so I could roll the car, was the battery area of the car and it's associated wiring. What I thought was going to be a simple battery tray replacement turned into a wiring nightmare. It became apparent to me that the reason the front lights, blinkers, or marker lights did not work was because someone had decided to cut and splice, at random, the harness leading to the front of the car. There was one item that seemed to be everywhere in the engine compartment. The more I looked the more I found. My first thought was I must be seeing things but these offending creatures were everywhere! I hate this item more then anything. Actually hate is not the right word here, I loathe them. I know what you're thinking, it must be rats or rodents, right? Wrong! But if you guessed Scotchloks, you would be right. For those of you who are not familiar with Scotchloks, let me show you a picture of one of these little blue devils.
Behold the Scotchlok

Someone at sometime had decided to attempt to re-wire the car for whatever reason and then decided to use Scotchloks to do it! I suppose these devices do have their purpose. In my opinion that purpose would be as a temporary connector, as in a temporary emergency. I am sure a lot of readers have seen these splicing in a trailer connector plug, as that seemed to be the aftermarket industry standard for quite a while. While repairing the wiring harness and eradicating all the Scotchloks the perfect name suddenly popped into my head. As sort of a sick tribute to uninformed, wannabe automotive electricians everywhere, I named the '72 "Scotchlok"! This name is most appropriate, not just because of all the Scotchloks but also due to the fact that the car was originally a very similar shade of blue to them!
This was only a small portion of the little blue devils that I discovered
The wiring harness is now repaired, thanks to a factory wiring diagram, proper soldering, and heat shrink tubing. I also cleaned and painted the battery area and replaced the tray. I'll post more details on the harness repair in an upcoming blog, as it was quite a challenge. For now, Scotchlok is resting comfortably in the Amberlight, minus a bunch of little blue devils of course.
Project "Scotchlok" inside the Amberlight

1 comment:

  1. It was a great blog because by reading out this blog I've come to know some vital points of car repairing and I think that in your upcoming blog I will get more updated information that will surely be handy for me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete